Friday, April 22, 2011

Dining with Jesus


At the table with Jesus tonight,
my eyes were opened
to the wondrous insight
of his extravagant love for me and my Sisters.

After all the thoughtful preparations
for our last meal together,
we all reclined with satisfaction
as we waited to share
Holy Communion with our Teacher
who would dare
to show us how to serve forever.

My intent was just
to be a “Mary” figure at Jesus’ feet
absorbing his Words of
Light, Life, and Mystery sweet.

But it wasn’t long
before I started pondering
how I could
wait on him
comfort him,
thank him
for his laying down his life for me on Calvary tomorrow.

After breaking bread together,
Jesus took a towel
and he washed OUR FEET.
He could lovingly
accomplish this generous feat
despite his betrayer
at that moment
making plans for his defeat.

Section stained glass window
Sacred Heart Monastery Chapel

Sitting back down at table,
he reminded us he is our Teacher
and that what he has just done will enable
us to carry on his mission
of love and service
for all generations.

All in silence now,
to our Savior we bow
and watch and pray and suppose
the meaning of Gethsemane’s repose.

In silence tomorrow
we ponder Jesus’ great love for us
and resolve that we
“will lay our lives down
for the other, as Jesus did,
and count everything we do
as the privilege of participating
in the co-creation of the world.”
(Quote from The Monastery of the Heart ~ Joan Chittister)

~Sister Priscilla Cohen, OSB
4/21/2011


Section of stained glass window
Sacred Heart Monastery Chapel
"My soul is sorrowful even to death.
Remain here and keep watch with me."
Matthew 26:38
 


No comments:

Post a Comment