Monday, September 30, 2013

The Splendor of Autumn


It's been over a year since I've spent time with this blog.  Though the intent is forever on my mind, it has been a year of so many events that hinder my fidelity to this creativity and expression I so dearly love.  I have been at a conference this past week at Our Lady of Grace Monastery, a Benedictine Monastery in Beech Grove, Indiana, just south of Indianapolis.  As I strolled the campus today, admiring God's sunny presence on fall colors beginning to announce their presence, my eyes beheld the beauty of the above yellow leaves already falling to the ground below. 

Yellow leaves are truly a favorite for me. But I also love red leaves.  But I also love yellow, red, and orange leaves.  And I also love yellow, red, and orange leaves, interspersed with lime green leaves.  But the best of all sights to behold are all the above colors illuminated with the sun's rays.


Autumn is definitely my favorite season of the year.  The foliage colors awaken my heart to God's beauty and remind me of the seasons of my own life.  As I watch the leaves letting go of their home and falling to the ground, I am reminded to search my inner soul to let go of what has been and to fall to the ground to be re-nurtured in earth's soil that I may begin again my daily commitment of living life joyfully, lovingly, and peaceably. 

Autumn is a prayer for me.  It is a very contemplative prayer.  I don't have to say anything.  All I have to do is be there to behold its beauty and God will do the rest.  So these past few days at Beech Grove have been a prayer for me and a time to share the inner work of my soul with other Sisters who live my same journey day after day. This "beginning of autumn" adventure "magnifies my soul to proclaim the greatness of the Lord."

Next week I will be traveling with my family to the Smokies for a few days.  My heart eagerly awaits this contemplative experience.  So more to come.  I hope to pray with my eyes and my camera to capture the illuminative gift of God's arrays of color.

No comments:

Post a Comment